Oak Grove Missionary Baptist Church

Pastor I L A nthony (336) 595-4851 Email: oakgrovebaptist1@embarqmail.com

Our History

In 1897 a group of five people, A. L. Fulp and wife Ada, Hampton Brooks and his wife Celia Ann, and Richard Kelly wished to become members of a Missionary Baptist Church. A. L. Fulp sought the advice and counsel of the Reverend George Holland, who was the pastor of First Baptist Church in Winston-Salem, NC. Reverend Holland was also desirous of establishing a Missionary Baptist Church in the Walkertown Community.

The following year 1898, Oak Grove Missionary Baptist Church was established...A vision became a reality. Brother Hampton Brooks served as deacon and chairman of the board. Brother A. L. Fulp served as secretary of the board, Brother Brooks, Fulp and Kelly served as the Trustee Board, of which Brother Kelly served as chairman.

All worship services and business meetings were held in the Methodist church under the guidance of Reverend Holland. In the meantime plans for constructing a church home were discussed. Finally, A. L. Fulp wanting to see a definite move, purchased half an acre of land from Mr Parnell. The land was deeded to the church and used as a building site. Mr. Fulp, along with th other four founders began soliciting funds for the building of the church, they succeeded in raising $48.00.

A. L. Fulp sought the advice of the Leigh Brothers for whom he worked. He turne the matter of building the church over to them. They framed and enclosed the first building so that it was suitable for use. They had very little difficulty getting the assistance that they needed to compleste the sturcture. The first worship wservice was held in the unfinished building on January 12, 1900. A Vision Became a reality.

The five founders continued to wrok earnestly, and the construction of the building was completed. As a result of their efforts, the original slab seats were soon replaced by well made benches. All indebtedness was retired. The church was debt free.

The first pastor called to Oak Grove was Reverend R. T. Gore. Assisted by Reverend J. W. Jones of Winston-Salem, he conducted a revival and several people became members of the congregation. Reverend Gore pastored the church for one year. He was followed by Reverend J. W. Jones who pastored for 4 years. In 1906, Reverend Pickney Joyce was called and served for 13 years. Reverend W. M. Neal, a devoted man of God was a very effective leader. During his leadership, the old church building was replaced by a new one. The members rejoiced when they realized they has raised $700.00 in a rally for the new church building Fund. A Vision became a reality. Reverend Neal was the pastor of Oak Grove at the time of his death.

You are viewing the text version of this site.

To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.

Need help? check the requirements page.


Get Flash Player